Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

$Expand=File&$orderby=Order asc
I've called the police! How long before I get the police here?,

Calls for service are prioritized according to the seriousness of the call and the availability of police units on the road. Calls for service classified for immediate response may involve injuries that require medical attention and major crimes in progress. Officers will be cleared from other calls to respond to these types of calls. Depending on the type of complaint, calls for service can also be classified as "expedite," "routine," "DPR" or "referral". We realize it is frustrating when the police take a long time to respond to your call, or when we cannot give you an accurate estimate of when we will respond, but life is unpredictable and officers assigned to your call may be redirected to respond to a more serious call. The Hazel Park Police Department is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year so your call for service will be answered.

When do I call 911?,

Only call 911 for actual emergencies! For non-emergencies and information, you may call 248-542-6161.

I've locked my keys in the car! Can you help me?,

Sorry, but the Hazel Park Police Department no longer offers lockout service. We suggest you call a tow company or a locksmith to assist you. In the event of an emergency such as a child locked in the car, we will respond and assist accordingly. Otherwise, it has been our experience that the following local companies will assist you with lockout for a fee:

  1. Monaghan's Towing Service -- (248) 546-0860
  2. Service Towing -- (586) 756-9500
  3. Big D Lock -- (248) 545-6173
Somebody stole my license plate! Will you take the report?,

There is no need to report stolen license plates to the Hazel Park Police Department. You need to report the stolen or lost plate to the Secretary of State office.

How do I call Animal Control?,

The City of Hazel Park's Animal Control is handled by a Part-Time Officer and assisted by several volunteers. Since hours of operation vary, please call 248-546-4096 for information. If no one is available to answer, you may leave a voicemail message and the ACO will return your call at their earliest convenience.

How do I make a citizen complaint against an officer?,

We encourage you to first, if at all possible, discuss your problem or complaint with the supervisor for whom the officer works directly for. This usually permits the quickest resolution to your issue. This can be accomplished by calling the Hazel Park Police Department's main line at (248) 542-6161, extension 0.

Or make a visit to the police station and talk to the on-duty supervisor. If this person is not the individual that you need to talk to, they will direct you to that person.

If you are not able to resolve the matter informally, you may then make a formal complaint. With few exceptions, complaints are required to be submitted in writing. Forms can be provided at the police department front desk. Please understand, all complaints are taken seriously.

Accuracy and truthfulness are an absolute must. Complaints that are determined to be false, intentionally inaccurate or malicious in nature will be likewise pursued against the party filing such complaint.

After completion of your complaint, please return it to the Hazel Park Police Department and submit it either to the supervisor that you have previously dealt with or any other supervisor on duty at the time you submit it.

If you believe your complaint is of a highly sensitive nature and needs to be directed to the office of the Chief of Police and/or bypass the shift supervisor, you may either mail or drop off the completed complaint form in a sealed envelope addressed to same with the words "Confidential" written on it. The complaint will then be assigned for investigation accordingly. Please understand, depending on the nature of a complaint, merely by requesting that it be initially forwarded to the Chief of Police in a confidential manner, will not guarantee that a complainant's identity will be confidential.

All legitimate complaints will be investigated and outcomes will be communicated with the complainant in a timely fashion.

Can I make a report with the Hazel Park Police Department if the crime or accident occurred outside the city?,

No. Even though you may live here, we can only take reports of crimes or accidents that occur within the city limits. You will have to contact the jurisdiction where the incident occurred to file a police report. If it is an incident that is not serious in nature, the police department in the jurisdiction in which it occurred may have a program in which you can file the report right over the telephone.

How much will my bond be?,

Felony charges and domestic violence offenses will not have a bond. Misdemeanor offense bonds will depend on a number of factors, including the type of offense and the state of the defendant. You may contact the 43rd District Court or the City Attorney's office for specific information.

Can you tell me if someone I know has been arrested?,

We can tell you if they are in the Hazel Park Police Station, currently in court, or if they have been transported to the Oakland County Jail. In certain circumstances, we will release what charges they are facing. We may also advise if they have a bond and what that amount may be. Other personal or case sensitive details in most circumstances will not be given over the phone. Only in certain circumstances will that information even be released to third parties in person.

How do I get a copy of a police report?,

You may obtain copies of a police report if you are involved in an accident or if you are the victim of a crime by bringing your Government issued photo identification and $3.00 per page (for incident reports) or $5.00 (for accident reports) to the Hazel Park Police Records Department, open Monday through Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

When can I make a missing person report?,

Usually the person must be missing for 24 hours. However, if the missing person is a minor, or if there are extenuating circumstances, the Hazel Park Police Department will take a missing persons report immediately.

How do I get a Personal Protection Order (PPO)?,

You must go to the Oakland County Prosecutor's office located in the County Complex at 1200 Telegraph Road (north of the Oakland Pointe and Summit Place Mall shopping centers).

The court ordered me to submit to regular Preliminary Breath Tests (PBTs), can you help me?,

Yes, Preliminary Breath Tests (PBTs) can be administered at the front desk of the Police Department. For the 43rd District Court-Hazel Park Division, PBTs will be a $10.00 charge, for other court PBTs, there is a $15.00 charge and must be paid in cash.

I let my friend stay with me for a few days and now he/she won't leave! Can you throw him/her out for me?,

Unfortunately, now that you have let him stay, even for one night, he can claim he has established residency. If he refuses to leave, you must go through the formal eviction process at the 43rd District Court to make it legal for him to be thrown out. This is a civil matter.

Where do I register my gun?,

You may register it at the Hazel Park Police Department Records Bureau. Bring in a valid Michigan Driver's License or other form of valid Government issued photo ID, Monday through Friday, from 9:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.

How do I get fingerprinted?,

The Hazel Park Police Department no longer processes requests for fingerprinting of any kind. You may contact IBT at (866) 226-2952 for locations, to schedule an appointment or for more information regarding fingerprinting.

Where do I go for a police clearance?,

You may obtain clearance at the Hazel Park Police Department Identification Bureau, Monday through Friday, from 9:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. You must bring in:

  • Valid Driver's License or other valid Government issued photo ID
  • $3.00